... ...
top of page
Community Garden

Yates County

Project Name

Yates is taking important steps to address the opioid crisis in your community and across the country by participating in the HEALing Communities Study. Learn more about the study, which is being implemented in four states.

You can make a difference too.

Getting and Staying in Treatment

Each person has a personal path to recovery from opioid use disorder, and treatment with medication is a medical standard of care. It can help people begin their recovery, regain their lives and place in the community, and improve relationships with family and friends.

W2C3 Yates_Shopping Cart Ad 5x3 (1).jpg
Medications for opioid use disorder save lives.

Where can I find someone who can prescribe medications for opioid use disorder?

Step 1: If you have a health care provider (doctor, nurse, etc.), start there. Ask them about methadone, buprenorphine, and naltrexone, and whether you can be prescribed one of these medications. If your health care provider is unable or unwilling to prescribe these medications, request a referral to another provider who can prescribe them.
Step 2: If you do not have a health care provider, find a local treatment provider in your community by using the maps on our community pages.

Why use medications for opioid use disorder?

People who stop using opioids often relapse (return to use) if they do not use medication to help them. Stopping and then restarting opioid use increases the chance of dying from an overdose.

Medications can help people be successful in their recovery by:
  • Lowering the risk of relapse
  • Lowering the risk of overdose death
  • Increasing the time they stay in treatment
  • Improving their lives and relationships with others

What are the medications for opioid use disorder?

The three medications approved to treat opioid use disorder are:
  1. Methadone: Helps with withdrawal. You drink it. You have to go to a clinic daily for the first 90 days of treatment
  2. Buprenorphine (Common brand names: Suboxone, Subutex). 
    Helps with withdrawal. You usually start by taking it daily as a tablet or film that dissolves under the tongue or in the cheek. 
    New rules now make it easier for health care providers to get a certificate (waiver) to prescribe buprenorphine, but not all clinics will offer it. You typically get the prescription filled at a pharmacy 
    In most cases, you can take it at home. Once you have stabilized, your provider may recommend a long acting form of buprenorphine, such as Sublocade (injection). 
  3. Naltrexone (Common brand name: Vivitrol). You must stop opioid use 7 to 10 days before starting. You might be prescribed other medications to help with withdrawal symptoms. Usually given as a shot once a month.
Important Notes
  • These medications can save lives.
  • If you stop taking a medication for opioid use disorder, it can increase the risk of overdose and death.
  • You should discuss with a health care provider which one would work best for you.
  • Never stop taking medication without the guidance of a health care provider.​
  • Never stop taking them on your own.
More information on medications for opioid use disorder can be found here.


Experience reliable transportation in Yates County for individuals seeking MOUD treatment, courtesy of FLACRA's Community Outreach & Engagement Services.

Your journey towards recovery just got easier with our dependable services. Please use the form below to request transportation or call 833-435-2272 for immediate help or crisis response. 

This service is funded through the Healing Communities Study and is to be used to assist individuals in seeking and retaining their recovery through the use of MOUD.

Transportation Request

Thanks for submitting!

bottom of page